US HOUSE LEADERS BACK OBAMA ON SYRIA STRIKE
“Only the United States has the capacity and the capability to stop Assad or warn others around the world that this type of behavior will not be tolerated.” -House Speaker John Boehner
(Washington, DC)—Following President Obama’s decision this weekend to seek Congressional approval for a military response to Syria’s chemical weapons attack earlier in August, leaders in the House of Representatives—both Republican and Democrat—expressed their support and backing for such a strike against Assad’s regime.
According to the Washington Post report, House Speaker John A. Boehner told reporters, “I’m going to support the president’s call for action; I believe my colleagues should support this call for action.”
“These weapons have to be responded to,” continued Boehner. “Only the United States has the capacity and the capability to stop Assad or warn others around the world that this type of behavior will not be tolerated. I appreciate the president reaching out to me and my colleagues in Congress over the past few weeks.”
House Minority Leader, Nancy Pelosi agreed noting that Assad had acted “far outside the norms of civilized behavior,” said the WP report.
“I believe the American people need to hear more about the intelligence that supports this action. And that is the responsibility for this chemical weapons use is clearly at the feet of Assad,” added Pelosi.
- Obama wins bipartisan support for Syria strike (timesofisrael.com)
- Republican House speaker backs Obama’s call for military action in Syria (haaretz.com)
- Live: Lawmakers grill Obama aides on Syria (news.yahoo.com)
- Obama on Syria strike: “This is not Iraq, and this is not Afghanistan” (cbsnews.com)
- John Boehner Backs Obama’s Call for Action Against Syria (abcnews.go.com)